Thursday, January 12, 2012

Go Ask Alice: CSI Case #1

Happy news - the new CSI (Color, Stories. Inspiration) Site went live last week.
The first "case" was to "scrap something mad" within the colour palette of the challenge. Here's my entry:
I don't know about you, but now that we're in 2012, there's a lot going on that just seems...well, mad.  So I went with a Mad Hatter theme from Alice in Wonderland. 
Since Wonderland is a place where things are non-sense.  I decided to give myself permission to scrap without a photo - I scrapped a concept instead.
In Wonderland, Alice finds that the rules no longer apply, and nothing makes sense.  The caterpillar asks her, "Who are you?"
Alice replies:
"I...I hardly know, sir, just at present...at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."
I feel a kinship to Alice these days (!), and that was my concept for this piece.
Here's a close-up of the Mad Hatter image from the Graphic 45 Hallowe'en in Wonderland collection:
I gave him a tulle bow tie and a hat band made from crinkle seam binding, both of which were coloured with glimmer mist and Distress Stain.  The two hat pins were alcohol-inked, and I painted his top hat with a distress stain mix to make the gray more compatible with the palette.


On a red glimmer-misted a tag from Tattered Angels, I printed out the lyrics of the old Jefferson Starship song Go Ask Alice. (It used to sound surreal and odd back in the day, but now the words seem almost prophetic - how strange is that?)
The second tag I kept blank so that I could come back to it later and write about how the "madness" is working itself out. (which I am sure it will, eventually.)
The tag holder is one of my cardboard coffee sleeves. 
I did the journalling on a transparency next to the Mad Hatter:


Well, it's a wonderful world of change, isn't it?  Even if it does feel like we're at a mad tea party some times.  I'll close with these words from Go Ask Alice:

When the men on the chess board 
get up and tell you where to go
And you just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving slow
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know
-Jefferson Airplane, 1967

No comments:

Post a Comment