Friday, February 3, 2012

Made of Light:CSI Case #4

Hello Blog Friends, 
The inspiration image for Case #4 at CSI was an underwater photograph, a trompe l'oeil effect, where you're not really sure what it is you are seeing.
Here's my project:
I chose this photo of my DGD because at this age, everything is new to her.  In the photo she is observing light, as if for the first time, and reaching her hand toward the sunbeam that is falling across her car seat.   To see her trying to understand what she is seeing  (the light) by reaching her little hand toward it was an exquisite moment for me.
This is the inspiration photo:

Design Process
Oy. The good part is that I've started to journal from the prompts and inspiration photo to come up with my key concept.  This is a process recommended by Sylvia Mellander.  As a writer, this suits me beautifully and gets the creative ideas flowing.
However, this week again, I had three project attempts that ended up in the trash!  This must have something to do with finding one's authentic style.  I do love the graphic, negative space, and random splatters/multi-media approaches....but they just don't work for me.  Lesson learned. (I hope.)
My title comes from my belief that babies are pure light.  The pattern papers and chipboard tree accent are from the October Afternoon Farmhouse collection. I followed the CSI colours and used a sketch by Charlotte Jenkins (Suepup).
My Evidence:

Wet Medium - I misted a Pink Paislee Mistable sheet with Dragonfly glimmer mist; then wiped some of the mist away to reveal the surface pattern in some spots. I also misted the paper doily with Butterscotch (Adirondack). 
Tulle - I misted a piece of tulle and adhered in the top L to give softness and a slightly shadowy, translucent effect like being underwater
Frame & Something Reflective/Shiny: I combined these two details.  I coated a Dusty Attic frame with black enamel accents to give it a high gloss, in honour of the patent leather black colour of the colour palette. 
I also used some rhinestone swirls.
I painted mulberry flowers with Stream alcohol ink and some with Butterscotch spray and gave them centers with a Viva pearl pen.   I let the knitted hat and cable knit sweater carry the buoyant beige colour.
Testimony:
I wrote in a reflective fashion about my thoughts as I look at this picture.
Also, I arranged the journaling on paper strips arranged as steps:
The journaling reads: "The moment you saw the sunbeam, you reached for it. Light knows itself. You are a constant ray of light in our lives."
Here's the lovely sketch I used by Charlotte Jenkins:



Wishing you a creative weekend!

2 comments:

  1. "Babies are pure light." I love this comment Fran. It's so true. You have done a beautiful job with this "case"! I love how you've used all your colors, and that grand-daughter is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really adored this page by you, not just because the baby is adorable but also because of the little bits of fussy cutting tucked here and there, lovely work Fran.

    ReplyDelete